Helping West Auckland Families Through Music Therapy
In the 2017 Million Dollar Mission, Raukatauri Music Therapy Trust managed to achieve their funding target of $50,575 for their music therapy programmes for West Aucklanders with special needs. Million Dollar Mission is an initiative setup to give back The Trusts profits to West Auckland community organisations.
About Raukatauri Music Therapy Trust
The Raukatauri Music Therapy Centre was founded in March 2004 with the vision of providing music therapy via a clinical practice model, to children and adolescents with special needs in the Auckland area. As the Centre approaches its 13th year in operation, it continues to be the only music therapy centre operating in New Zealand. The Centre currently employees eight music therapists and has two student music therapists on placement for twelve months. They have three music therapy rooms which operate from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Fridays and 8.30am to 3.30pm on Saturdays and 520 instruments onsite for use in their music therapy sessions.
Music therapy is still a relatively new practice in New Zealand, so a large part of the Centre’s work to date has been raising awareness and education of this new field and its benefits, especially for children with special needs/disabilities. Many of their special needs clients are very isolated, as they have severe physical disabilities as well as intellectual disabilities. Thus there are very limited opportunities for them to participate in activities such as sports, performing arts, and cultural groups that many of their peers are able to. While many do attend school, some are not able to and thus are home schooled. For these children and young people, music therapy is the only activity they participate in and thus it provides them with an opportunity to
- interact with someone other than a parent/caregiver
- communicate and express themselves
- build confidence and self-esteem
- develop relationships with other human beings
- develop their co-ordination and motor skills
- develop concentration and attention skills
- work on their independence and autonomy.
- feel connected and a participant in their community and the world around them
Helping Raukatauri Music Therapy Help West Aucklanders
Now that Raukatauri Music Therapy Trust has secured Million Dollar Mission funding they are be able to:
- provide music therapy programmes in four schools in West Auckland
- support two groups of adults with special needs who reside in West Auckland to attend sessions at their Centre in Grey Lynn
- assist with costs for the Trust to provide music therapy sessions at the Titirangi Community Centre
We are proud to help Raukatauri Music Therapy Trust help West Auckland families. Do you have a story about the work of Raukatuari Music Therapy Trust? Share it with us in the comments below.