We’ve been supporting West Auckland communities since we were first established, but as we enter a new decade, we’ve had a look back at what we’ve achieved with our giving in the last decade.
Back in 2011, we were giving back less than $250,000 per year. We’ve been able to grow that to $2.7 million in the 2018/19 financial year.
A huge milestone for us in those ten years was launching our flagship giving programme – the Million Dollar Mission – which we run alongside our other giving back programmes.
The beauty of the Million Dollar Mission is that it provides an opportunity for the community to choose which groups it wants to support through a voting process. This means you have the chance to have your say on where you’d like to see money donated.
We know that every dollar counts and in the four years the Million Dollar Mission has been up and running, we are proud to have made a real difference in funding for a number of causes within West Auckland.
While some of the amounts we give are larger, often, it’s small amounts that can make a big difference.
Some of the groups and programmes that we helped to fund include:
- New auto belay systems for the Auckland Climbing Youth Development Club Incorporated (ACYD) so they could host national events at the West Auckland venue, showcasing what the club has to offer
- Outdoor equipment for the Titirangi Playcentre to help them continue their mission to support children in becoming competent self-directed learners through play
- New musical equipment to improve the rehearsal room of the Waitakere Auckland Brass Band who have been performing since 1923
- Two new freezers, meal ingredients and new containers for Bellyful West Auckland so they can continue to provide free meals for struggling families with newborn babies and young children
- A state-of-the-art playground for the tamariki at Ranui Primaru School
- New, lifesaving equipment for the Piha Surf Lifesaving Club
- Funding that went towards a new helicopter that will take people to hospital in emergencies for the Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust
This is only a small selection of what we were able to give in 2019, and we aim to keep growing the amount we give.
If you’re keen to learn more about Million Dollar Mission, you can find out more on the Million Dollar Mission website.